The church, often referred to as the "Selztaldom" in the vernacular, does not have this title for nothing. Favourably positioned on the outskirts of the town and thus dominating the silhouette and landscape from afar, it is an outstanding example of late 19th century church architecture.
Built in 1888 in neo-Romanesque style after a construction period of just under two years, the parish church deliberately echoes the spirit of the time. Significantly, the inscriptions on the first bells proclaimed the sacred patriotic slogans of the last two German emperors.
The exterior building materials were largely sourced from the region. Strong limestone ashlars alternate masterfully with heavily moulded sandstone elements. A well-proportioned octagon rises above the crossing of the cruciform ground plan.
The massive entrance door is adorned with a tympanum relief depicting the Lamb of God lying on the book with the 7 seals.
The eye-catching, elegant interior fittings include, above all, the colourful stained glass of the large rosettes of the transept and the choir windows, the high-spanned and very sculptural wooden coffered ceiling design in the nave.