The typical small house was built around 1850 for Jacob Duch from broken limestone and in 1890 for Philipp I. Zerban, who worked as a farmer, fisherman and basket weaver, a gate and a knee stick were added using bricks and pumice stones. The building was inhabited until 1990, it was professionally restored from 2011 to 2016 and is now represented in a museum. Its urban integration is determined by the neighborhood of the Protestant church built in 1909/10 and by the modest eaves house development to the east since the 19th century. The originally three-axis, eaves-facing plastered building with the house entrance on the left was enlarged in 1890 to the west by an arched gate in the manner of a barn part. Windows (two-winged with split skylight) and doors have simple sandstone walls. A gable dormer rises above the eastern half of the house. The west wall ends with a fire gable. The saddle roof is covered with heart tiles, the roof structure is made of poplar wood, as is not uncommon in the Rhine plain. Inside, the old west gable has largely been preserved as a half-timbered construction.
The inner, small-scale floor plan, characterized by the lateral transverse corridor, encompassed the living room on the street side and to the rear, after the small courtyard, the kitchen and chamber, which was added to the kitchen in 1949. There is a crawl space under the kitchen. In 1900 another chamber was built into the raised top floor. The floor coverings on the ground floor with a paving in a checkerboard pattern as well as floorboards and door leaves are historic. Inside, historical color versions (stencil paintings) have been exposed.
The so-called fisherman's house is of great folkloristic and socio-historical importance, as it is one of the last remaining authentic examples of a small-scale house type in Rhenish Hesse, as it shaped the appearance of entire streets in the past. The building, which has been handed down to the inside down to the last detail, gives a very clear idea of the living conditions of the village lower classes in the 19th century.
The Fischerhaus has been on the monuments list of the Mainz-Bingen district since May 23, 2019.
You can arrange viewing appointments using the following telephone numbers:
Telephone 061 32/86 7 82 - Hans-Dieter Steuber or
Telephone 061 32/8 51 98 - Rüdiger Rahn